Wednesday, August 23, 2017

A Quicky: The Eclipse

The eclipse activated all my teacher bones!! I was ecstatic!

I was greatly helped by Joslyn & Rip dropping Lucy & Timmo off with me on Friday & we were then equipped with 5 solar glasses!!

Erica & Jason came over too & George dropped into the zone at the top of Wainborn Park where a loose group of mostly strangers assembled. We were not strangers for long. Some brought those ingenious boxes for camera obscura effects, some brought serious telescopic/photographic equipment, & I came armed with a colander, some salad servers from Italy, & my 5 special glasses [which I freely loaned out & only lost one].

Here Lucy on the phone with her parents after they spent 9 @#$#%& hours on the road getting from Tsawassen, BC to Olympia on the Saturday before the eclipse. Eclipse Tourism!

So on Monday, at 9-something, we went out into the park & started using the glasses, the colander, & noticing shadows.
At first the crescents weren't as deep as this. Every small gap in the foliage produced a pin-hole-effect. I was dragging folks into the shade to see the effect. Some where protesting that the holes in the leaves weren't 'round' so it wouldn't work. Boy, were they agog!!
This first image is of the salad server & the colander.


This feathery effect below was one of my favorites.

People were doing all manner of experiments.

 
My favorite shirt of the day.

Not looking at the sun.

Below: Lucy & Timmo making crescents by crossing their fingers.

The woman on the right was crossing her fingers so her pinky-poofy-shoed friend could photograph it!
I was thrilled by the fact that so many shadows were affected by the eclipse! Many looked ginko-like!!

That's it for now.










1 comment: