Wednesday, November 14, 2012

View from the Train










For years I have ridden trains & buses, looked out windows & thought about those special things I get to see & notice at a time when I don't have to do anything.

I can just watch, imagine, & think.

On my trip east I went from Boston to NYC by train & wondered about how many times in my 4 years at Sarah Lawrence I must have made that trip by train. Yet I couldn't actually "remember" a single time. 

The pictures that will follow are only sometimes "great shots", but for me there is much more to see: the underbelly of our infrastructure, which Sandy proved to be so precarious.
These are pictures I took between NYC & DC a few days before Hurricane Sandy.

I did what my friend Sabina calls drive-by-shooting, hence blur & non-verticality/horizontality!



Then there is functional industry.


Then there are the abandoned industrial buildings. Odd piles. Industrial left-overs



Then there are some people to notice.

This person was in DC on our way away from the train station. I have all manner of thoughts & wonders about him/her.


Baltimore buildings. They look to me a bit like stacked trailers. 


 Juxtaposed elements comes to mind & urban patchwork.


Mismatching comes to my mind.

                                               That's it for now.          


No comments:

Post a Comment